Saturday, April 25, 2009

Wildflower Bound!

Geez Louise! Time really does slip away. What a great few weeks I've had. Let's back up a couple of weeks to the Easter break - I did finally find something to do... I took a quick trip back to Toronto for a visit with the family and see some friends. It was such a great trip. I really do miss everyone terribly, but this is the second trip back to Toronto now that really solidifies how happy I am to be on the West Coast. No doubt Toronto will always be special to me, it's where my family is, where I'm from and where some of my closest friends are, but really, Vancouver is home now.

Last weekend was the Vancouver Sun Run. The 2nd largest 10K race in North America - 52,000+ runners this year! My boss has been the Race Director for the Sun Run for 19 years, so this year he invited me down to the start line to help "coordinate" before the race. What an experience, it was so much fun. Here's a pic of the start, the funny thing is I'm standing juuust outside the frame, right beside the Vancouver Sun Run banner on the left. I was hoping I'd make the front page of the paper, but turns out they do some editing for stuff like that....


I jumped in after about 30 straight minutes of watching people run by (it takes approx an hour and a half to get everyone started). I ran my first 10K of the year in 54 min. Not bad. It's a bit tricky with so many people - you do alot of dodging and weaving.

Onto the next! Tomorrow morning I'm leaving (EARLY) for California where I'll be spending a week in the desert with my coach and about 7 other people to train. Coach Andrew has a wicked week planned for us with about 25-30 hours of training overall (ouch). We'll be down at Lake San Antonio which is the site of the infamous Wildflower Triathlon which takes place next weekend. I'm not racing, but a few of the people with us will be. This is a HUGE race with close to 5,000 participants overall. It's known as the "Woodstock" of Triathlons for a few reasons. First - it's out in the middle of no where. The nearest town is about 50K away. So after those long days of training... don't think I'll be headed back to the pool with a fruity drink with an umbrella in it... this isn't that type of vacation :) Nope... we're full on roughing it. I'm told there are shower/washroom facilities, but that's about it. We'll be there Sunday to Sunday, and most people start to show up for the race weekend by Thursday-Friday. I'm so excited! Here's a link if you want to read more about Wildflower:

Official Site

Fun Review

S0 I'm off to get a few things done before I go. I'm planning on keeping a training journal while I'm there, so I'll send updates when I get back. Here's a video I found from last years race. It's about 7 mins long, it's a great clip. Take a look and think of me this week!


Ciao!

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment