Saturday, January 24, 2009

Two-a-days/Priorities

I've very quickly fallen behind in my quest to blog on at least a weekly basis. Seems that the training program is taking up most... scratch that.. all of my time.

I'm getting used to the 2-a-day workout schedule. It's busy, really busy. Seems every time I turn around I'm on my way to the next workout. The intensity is still pretty low, but it's the volume that I'm having to adjust to. Here's what this week looked like:

Monday: off
Tuesday: 45min Strength/Core (gym), 40 min swim (evening)
Wednesday: 50min intense spin, 30 min easy run
Thursday: Run (track workout - speed drills)
Friday: 40 min easy spin, 40 min Strength/Core (gym)
Saturday: 1:30 min easy spin, 1:30 min Hot Yoga
Sunday: Crazy kick-my-a$$ swim workout followed by a 50min run.

I'm doing the yoga class for two reasons: I didn't get my gym workout in on Friday and I'm feeling a little bit of a bug coming on and I want to sweat out whatever it is before tomorrows workout.

So a few things came up this week that I wanted to blog about...Something I was thinking about alot this week was the volume of workouts in the program and it's toll on my regularly busy schedule. It's definitely not going to be easy to adjust to.

Life is busy. There's work, friends, family, errands, birthdays, baby showers, sport events, getogethers, dinners, dating and the list goes on. Fit this all into one week and "POOF" time flies by and you haven't even found a minute to call your own mother (yikes - sorry Mom!).

I guess what it comes down to is priorities. Once you've decided what it is that you value, what you want to make a priority, the obligations that come with that priority come easier and you "find" the time.

On top of my priority list right now is training. For the next year and a half, I want to dedicate my energy and myself to preparing physically and mentally for what I see as the biggest, toughest achievement I will have ever gone after.

There is no part of this I expect to be "easy". I've found quickly that this club, these coaches, and the people I'm training with don't take this lightly. There is no such thing as taking it easy in the workouts. I mentioned it in my last post.. when you're out there for a 40-50 min workout, it's 40-50 minutes of laying it ALL out there. If you have ANYTHING left at the end, you didn't work hard enough. That's not easy to do.

I guess I was thinking about this during a run last weekend. No matter who you are, what your "thing" is, what's going on in your life, if you make something a priority, you'll make time for it. It's that simple. If you have a goal (and goals can be anything, maybe you want to spend more time with your family, or really want to be in a relationship, or you want to get a promotion at work), not having time for it is an excuse. Make it a priority, decide it's a priority, and you'll find the time. Sacrifices will be made, that's a guarantee, but you will sacrifice things that are not priorities.

Those are my thoughts this week, and this is the purpose of the blog. To document my thoughts and feelings through this whole process. This will be an interesting post to read in a few months or next year when I'm burnt out and making all kinds of excuses to miss workouts!!! haha.. hopefully that's not true.

I'm off to grocery shop... even that has become something I now have to think about.. Saturday mornings after my ride and before my yoga class is the only time I have to buy enough food to get me through the week (seeing that there's NO WAY I'll have time to do it during the week!)

Happy training everyone!

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment