Sunday, January 11, 2009

Week 1...into the swing of things

I just finished my first week back into a routine in 2009. Back to work, back to long days and into a training program. And what a program it is. Each week consists of 3 swims, 3 bike workouts, 3 runs and 2 strength sessions in the gym. That's a total of 11 workouts a week (for those us keeping count.. and believe me.. I am).

Keeping in mind that these will vary from a 20 min easy run to a serious butt kick on Sundays. Everyday, with the exceptions of Mondays, which is my day off, and a looong ride on Saturdays, has two workouts a day. Here's an example of what this week looked like for me:

Monday: off
Tuesday: 1000M swim, 45 min strength and core (gym)
Wednesday: 45 min bike, 20 min easy run
Thursday: 45 min drill run
Friday: 45 min strength/core (gym), 30 min easy bike
Saturday: 1:15h bike
Sunday: 3800M swim, 45 min run

Luckily there's a really great gym at my office, so Tuesday's and Friday's I get the strength workouts in at lunch time. I've invested in a bike trainer, so I'm able to set my bike up in my living room and during the winter months (rainy season) I can still get in the workouts no matter what Mother Nature is doing. The pool is about a 20min walk from my house, so I usually will go down for a swim in the evenings after dinner (when it's less busy). There is one swim workout that logistically I just can't fit in. My program has a swim on Thursdays along with the run, but this is the run with the coach, and since I can't get to the pool in the mornings, I have to sacrifice the swim that day.

It was a pretty busy week, but I have to make this program my routine. It's busy, but manageable. The workouts change every week, getting progressively longer and tougher. Training, training, training. It's all about the training and these are the workouts that are going to get me where I want to be. The workouts are only going to get tougher, and the ONLY way I will be able to keep up is to show up to every session. Not only show up (which really is half the battle) but I have to give 110%. That sounds cheesy. But if I show up and just go through the paces, it will not get easier, and it will not do me any good and I'll be wasting alot of time. I have to show up and for that 30 min, 45 min, 1:30h, whatever it is, give it everything I have. What's 30min? No matter how tough it is, I can give it 30min. 1:30h? So what?? In the long run... 1:30h is nothing and I can certainly afford to give it all for a measly 1:30h.

Today's pool workout kicked my a$$. It was long, it was tough, I was choking water at one point. It burned. It made me feel weak. And it was awesome. When it was finally over, I put on my running shoes and ran 45 min. When it was all over, it was fantastic and I was so thankful I went the distance. I felt great, and I wasn't surprised. I don't think I have ever finish a workout and said "I wish I had stayed in bed this morning". It's always worth it.

That being said, I'm exhausted and it's time for bed. Tomorrow is my day of rest and rest I will.

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment