Thursday, March 11, 2010

No Mans Land

So the Games are over. I can't say it was everything I expected it would be. In fact - it was nothing I expected... but I sort of expected that. Having just been through my first Games, I know now that there is nothing I could have done to prepare for it. With all the planning and preparing that happens, it really is a matter of dealing with one thing at a time as it all comes at you (rapid fire). There are no "hours of operation", there are no days off, no weekends and no plans to make "after work". It's on - ALL THE TIME. Sometimes were busier than others, but basically, you have to be ready for anything at anytime.

The people that worked these Games really gave it everything they had. I saw people work day and night and sometimes day right through the night without rest. They dealt with things they could have never prepared for and pulled it all off with grace and as professionals. Through tragedy and an unforgiving Mother Nature, our team pulled off a Games that Vancouver, British Columbia and Canada can be proud of.

I've had a week to rest, although a terrible cold didn't make it much of a rest at all. I was out of commission all week. The Paralympics start tomorrow and then in 10 days... it's all over.

To be completely honest, I'm ready for it all to be over. It's been an incredible experience - there's no doubt about that, but I'm ready for my next adventure and I'm chomping at the bit to get going.

I haven't been able to train at all. I'm dying to get into shape. I miss training with the club, I'm craving a good hard workout, and I am really REALLY excited about getting focus on Ironman. I'm trying to get rid of this cold for good it's been a kick in the pants having a bit of a quiet week and not being able to get in at least a few good workouts. I just keep reminding myself how great it will be in 10 days when I have all day everyday to dedicate to healthy eating, proper rest and serious workouts.

I'm also looking forward to planning the rest of the summer. A little travelling, a few weekends away, a trip to California maybe? A bike trip down the Oregon coast? I've been waiting to plan all this when I can focus again.. that hasn't happened yet.

Here are a few photos from the last half of the Games.




No comments:

Post a Comment